A 13-year-old girl shot four times called 911 and helped police track a rampage that left five people dead across rural Michigan, including the suspect found dead in nearby woods.
Story Highlights
- Police say shootings spanned three locations in Missaukee County on August 14, 2026.
- Troopers found three people dead at the first home and one survivor rushed to a hospital.
- Authorities identified the suspect as 39-year-old Chad Hickman, later found dead.
- Investigators found additional victims at a second home and in woods near Whitlock Lake.
What Police Found First in Lake Township
Michigan State Police said troopers responded around 11:40 a.m. Friday to a home on South LaChance Road in Lake Township after a call that someone had been shot. Officers found three dead victims inside the home and a fourth person with gunshot wounds. Medics took the survivor to a hospital. Police said there was no active threat to the public once they secured the first scene and began to clear nearby areas. The investigation stayed active through the weekend as detectives collected evidence.
Authorities identified the suspect as 39-year-old Chad Hickman and launched a countywide search. State Police posted his photo and warned the public he was armed and dangerous. About an hour later, officials said Hickman had been found and was deceased, ending the active manhunt. Police then moved to confirm links between the scenes, notify families, and coordinate with the medical examiner. A motive was not known, and detectives urged patience while they confirmed details.
Three Locations, One Afternoon
Investigators said the violence reached three places in Missaukee County. After the first home, police found another victim dead at a second residence. Soon after, they located Hickman’s vehicle near Whitlock Lake in Caldwell Township. In the nearby woods, officers found two more bodies, including Hickman. The locations were spread across rural roads and wooded areas, which slowed access and required careful searches. Police asked residents to avoid active scenes while they processed evidence and secured the area.
Reporters noted some early differences in how outlets counted the dead, with some stating five people killed and the suspect dead, and others stating six dead including the suspect. Those headlines mean the same thing but can confuse readers tracking fast updates. By Saturday, officials and major outlets aligned on the total: five victims plus the suspect, with one survivor receiving care. Police said the investigation would continue and that more details would come after families were notified.
The Survivor’s Call and the Victims
Local reporting identified a 13-year-old girl as the survivor who called 911 after being shot four times. Police and neighbors credited her with helping officers find the first scene faster. The Detroit News listed several victims by age, including a 16-year-old boy, a 40-year-old mother, and other adults whose names were shared after families were told. The girl’s condition moved from critical to stable in later reports, reflecting hospital updates as doctors treated her wounds.
Missaukee County, Michigan — August 14, 2026 — Michigan State Police responded at approximately 11:40 a.m. to a reported shooting at a home on South LaChance Road in Lake Township, where troopers found a 45-year-old man, a 40-year-old woman and a 16-year-old boy dead from gunshot… pic.twitter.com/Hk211Ot01k
— Police Incidents (@PoliceIncident) August 18, 2026
Michigan State Police described the case as heartbreaking for the community and tough on investigators. Detectives must match ballistics, confirm timelines, and document each location. That work takes time, and early public updates tend to be brief and careful to avoid errors. Research on media coverage of mass shootings shows that big, tragic cases draw fast attention, which can lock in early frames before full records are out. Here, police stuck to confirmed facts while reporters updated the count as new details arrived.
Why This Case Resonates Beyond Missaukee County
Rural communities expect quick help when danger erupts, yet vast distances and thick woods slow any response. This case shows how first callers, like the 13-year-old survivor, can save lives. It also shows why clear police updates matter when fear spreads. People across the political spectrum worry that systems fail them in moments like this. Transparent timelines, prompt family notices, and complete final reports can rebuild trust without risking the case.
What Comes Next in the Investigation
Detectives will finish autopsies, run ballistics, and map the order of shots. They will seek phone records, witness statements, and any video that places Hickman at each scene. Officials will then release a final summary that explains who was where and when, how the suspect moved, and how the shootings ended. Until then, police say there is no ongoing public threat. The focus is on facts, families, and a clear record of what happened in Missaukee County.
Sources:
youtube.com, usatoday.com, detroitnews.com, wzzm13.com, washingtonpost.com
© conservativesense.com 2026. All rights reserved.










